Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grilled Shrimp with Saffron-Chipotle Cream Salsa




Grilled Shrimp with Saffron-Chipotle Cream Salsa
Servings: 6

I N G R E D I E N T S

2 pounds large shrimp (about 36 shrimp), I butterfly and flatten them in the shell so the marinade can penetrate.

At least 6 bamboo skewers (I use 2 parallel skewers per serving, for more stability.


Marinade ingredients:


4 to 6 limes (depending upon size)
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder (or 4 to 5 fresh garlic cloves, minced)
2 tablespoons chile powder, such as ancho powder or chipotle powder


To serve: Saffron Chipotle Salsa (recipe below)



Directions:


Make the marinade:

Mix lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic and chile powder in a heavy zip-lock bag. Add the shrimp and marinate (with shell intact) for one hour in the refrigerator. After marinating, thread 6 shrimp on the skewers.


Prepare & preheat a grill; outdoor, stovetop (or broiler)


Grill each skewer for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the shrimp turn pink. After all shrimp are cooked, serve them with the Cream Salsa. Shrimp may be peeled before serving ~ but for a casual meal I serve them right from the grill. Serve with the saffron chipotle salsa.

Chipotle-Saffron Cream Salsa
Servings: 6
NOTE: Below is the recipe the way it was shared, my changes are listed beneath the recipe.

I N G R E D I E N T S

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, mashed
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups good white wine
1/4 tablespoon ground saffron
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the chipotle and heavy cream to the pan. When the mixture comes to a boil add the white wine, saffron, and salt and pepper. Allow to come to a boil again, lower the heat and leave at low heat for 2 more minutes. Keep the salsa warm until ready to serve.

My Notes:
I prefer a thicker sauce~ Following the above directions, I change the amounts of ingredients:
  • Reduce wine to 1/4 cup
  • Reduce saffron to 1/4 teaspoon (I use whole saffron; crumbled, not ground)
  • If you prefer a milder salsa use 1/2 of a chile instead of whole.

I allow the sauce to simmer over very low heat to thicken for several minutes, stirring occasionally with a silicone spatula. Sauce may be strained/sieved to refine sauce if desired.

Recipes adapted from Zivaz Mexican Bistro