Thursday, June 18, 2009

Egg Foo Yung ~ Vegetable or...


A take on a more complicated dish from Shanghai, Egg Foo Yung has been a very popular menu item on Chinese-American restaurant for decades.

This is the recipe I've used for many years; my hints to lighten it up for a healthier version are noted.

Egg Foo Yung
4 servings

Ingredients:
Egg pancakes:

4 eggs (I use 1 cup of refrigerated egg substitute such as Egg Beaters (TM))
2 cups mung bean sprouts, broken into bite-size pieces
1/4 yellow or white onion, medium dice
1 green onion, sliced (plus extra for garnish, if desired)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I omit)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I omit, instead cook the pancakes in a non-stick frying pan, sprayed with cooking spray)

Gravy:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I reduce a bit)
2 tablespoons flour (I use whole wheat flour)
1 cup chicken broth; homemade or canned (I use Pacific Natural Foods brand; low-sodium, in the carton)
1 tablespoon Chinese Oyster Sauce
1 teaspoon dry sherry (not cooking sherry)
1/4 teaspoon salt (I omit)
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Directions:

Combine egg pancake mixture, mix until well combined.

Heat large skillet over medium heat until hot. If using oil add 2 tablespoons & allow to heat, alternately spray with cooking oil spray. Ladle mixture into 4 mounds in the skillet. Gently flatten each mound with a spatula. Cook until bottom is brown, flip (and remaining 2 tablespoons oil---if using.) Continue to cook about 5 to 7 minutes until egg mixture is cooked though.

For the gravy:

Mix oil and flour in a small pot, cook over moderate heat to make a roux. Gradually whisk or stir in broth along with remaining gravy ingredients, cook until desired gravy consistence is reached.

Optional gravy add-ins ~ Diced, cooked vegetables, bay shrimp, cubed cooked chicken, or other meat such as Chinese BBQ pork, etc.

To serve: Plate egg pancakes, spoon sauce over all. Serve hot and enjoy!