- Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins (with a surprise inside)
- As shared from the kitchen of Once Upon a Plate by Mari (www.onceuponaplate1.com)
- Note: Original recipe indicates this makes 10 standard size muffins. I made 12 standard muffins with no problem with this recipe. They probably would have turned out taller if the batter was divided among 10 muffins cups, but they were delicious just the same.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly grated if you have the whole nutmets)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flavorless vegetable oil (such as canola)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- Jam of your choice (about 1/2 cup or so)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Position rack in center of oven, preheat oven to 350* (F)
Grease, or spray muffin pan, or line with paper cupcake liners.
Combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full. Place 1 to 2 teaspoons jam on top.
Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups three-fourths full.
Bake in preheated 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Place melted butter in a small bowl; combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.
Cool baked muffins for 5 minutes after removing from oven.
While still quite warm dip tops in butter, then in cinnamon-sugar.
Finish cooling on baking rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
Click HERE to return to Once Upon a Plate.