Green Bean and Bacon Salad
4 to 6 servings
• 1 pound slender green beans, stems trimmed
• 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon, cut in 1/4" pieces
• 1 large shallot, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup walnut halves and pieces, toasted
• 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves chopped
• 1 Tablespoon grainy mustard
• 1 Tablespoon hot water
• pinch sugar
• 1 lemon, juiced
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I reduce to a scant 1/4 cup)
Blanch green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 4 minutes. Drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and transfer to a large bowl or platter.
Cook the bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle or arrange over the green beans along with walnuts, and parsley.
3.In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine shallots, mustard, water, sugar, and lemon juice. Add the oil, put the cap on and shake vigorously to emulsify. Taste for seasonings, adding salt and pepper as desired.
Dress the beans just before serving, tossing well to coat with the dressing.
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence
Please click HERE to return to Once Upon a Plate