Monday, August 31, 2009

Spicy Chicken* , Cucumber and Mint Salad


With huge thanks to Pam at "Sidewalk Shoes" for sharing this recipe from Donna Hay’s Magazine.




Spicy Chicken, Cucumber and Mint Salad
Serves 4

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
500g chicken mince (just over 17 ounces ~ so I just use a pound/16 ounces) *
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 birdseye chillies, chopped*
1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce*
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1 Lebanese or European ("hot house") cucumber, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup Vietnamese mint leaves*
1/4 cup spearmint leaves*
1/4 cup round mint leaves*

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over high heat. Cook the chicken (or your choice of meat), in batches, for a few minutes-- until browned, break up any big chunks with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute. Stir-in the fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. To serve, toss the cucumber, onion, and mint with the meat mixture.


* NOTES:

1.) You may substitute ground beef, turkey or pork for the chicken. I'm going to try it with prawns as well.

2.) If you don't care for fish sauce, substitute soy sauce (diluted with a bit of water), or perhaps Oyster Sauce.


3.) The first time I made this I substituted a fresh finely minced jalapeno pepper for the birds eye chilis ~ the second time I made it I used dried red chili flakes to taste, both worked very well in this recipe.

4.) I use a mix of common mints that grow in my garden, and cut the amounts substantially ~ 1/4 cup, loosely packed or less is plenty for our tastes ~ I just like a hint of mint.

Recipe adapted from Donna Hay's magazine.


Please click HERE to return to Once Upon a Plate.